Five wholesome ingredients and a food processor leaves you with the super delectable viral cottage cheese ice cream. This protein-packed dessert is here to stay.
I’ve been eating cottage cheese my whole life. When I saw the viral cottage cheese ice cream hack, I knew I had to try it!
There are plenty of variations of this healthy dessert going around, but this one is my favorite. I add dates for sweetener, cocoa powder for a chocolatey taste, and a swirl of peanut butter at the end. Because… chocolate and peanut butter are best friends. I couldn’t believe how easy this was to make!
If you love peanut butter and chocolate, try this Peanut Butter Banana Bread recipe!
What is Cottage Cheese Ice Cream?
Instead of using heavy cream, we blend cottage cheese up to break down the curds and this serves as the base instead. You can add similar flavors, and serve it in a similar fashion!
Does it taste like ice cream?
Yes! The trick is the consistency: you can’t eat it right out of the freezer, you need to let it thaw on the counter for 30-60 minutes, or in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Ingredients for Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Five simple, wholesome ingredients. That’s all you need for this healthy dessert recipe.
- Cottage cheese: Use any kind of cottage cheese you can find! This will be the base of the ice cream.
- Medjool dates: Pit the dates, break them in half, and add them in! Dates serve as the sweetener of the cottage cheese ice cream.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This makes the ice cream chocolatey
- Pure vanilla extract: There’s something about vanilla extract in dessert! Use a good quality pure vanilla extract.
- All-natural peanut butter: Be sure to mix the peanut butter together if there’s any oil pooled on top. Don’t use a pre-sweetened peanut butter here.
See recipe card for quantities.
This viral cottage cheese ice cream is so easy to make!
Combine cottage cheese, Mejdool dates, and cocoa powder in a food processor or blender and blend on high.
While blending, add vanilla extract. The mixture should be smooth like the photo above.
Mix in the peanut butter: transfer the cottage cheese mixture back into the package, or another freezer-safe container. Add the peanut butter and swirl with a spoon.
Freeze: Store the viral cottage cheese ice cream in the freezer for 4-6 hours. See “hint” below if storing for longer.
Enjoy: Use an ice cream scoop to serve!
Tip: if you leave the viral cottage cheese ice cream in the freezer much longer than 6 hours, the consistency will no longer be creamy. That’s okay – you can defrost on the counter for 30-60 minutes, or leave in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Why you’ll love this viral cottage cheese ice cream recipe
- Packed with protein – you have a whopping 57 grams of protein in total, about 14 grams per serving in this healthy dessert!
- No refined sugar – this viral cottage cheese ice cream is sweetened only with Medjool dates, which are packed with fiber and nutrients.
- Amazing flavor – I could eat this all day. You’d never know it was healthy, it tastes like a perfect ice cream!
- Incredibly easy to make – no fussy ingredients, no ice cream maker needed. Just five simple ingredients and a blender or food processor.
Flavor Variations and Additions
The variations are endless! Here are some ideas:
- Tahini – replacing the peanut butter with tahini. I love chocolate and tahini almost as much as chocolate peanut butter together.
- Berry cheesecake – add your favorite berries such as strawberry or blueberry to the cottage cheese while blending. Once blended, add more berries and some crushed graham crackers.
- Cookie Dough – add pieces of your favorite edible cookie dough after you’ve blended the cottage cheese.
- Banana Cream Pie – add ½ cup of very ripe banana, some honey, and crushed graham crackers.
- Natural sweeteners – instead of using dates, feel free to use honey or pure maple syrup!
- Nut butters – almond butter, cashew butter, or even tahini would work great in place of peanut butter
You can use either a food processor or a blender. If not using dates, you can use an immersion blender too. Just sweeten with pure maple syrup or honey. So easy!
Tip: you do not need an ice cream maker!
How to serve the viral cottage cheese ice cream
This is the one tricky part. The viral cottage cheese ice cream dessert is best served 4-6 hours after freezing. If you wait any longer, you will have to thaw the ice cream. Leave on the counter for 30-60 minutes, or in the refrigerator for 4 or so hours, or until the desired consistency is reached.
- Melted chocolate, for a chocolate shell!
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Whipped cream
- Some more peanut butter!
Store in the freezer in an air tight container. I prefer to use the container that the cottage cheese came in, but you can use any freezer-safe container. It will last as long as ice cream does!
You can really use any kind. I used a 2% fat cottage cheese from Trader Joe’s.
I would say yes! Cottage cheese is packed with protein. Cocoa powder has few added calories and no sugar. Dates carry plenty of nutrients. Peanut butter has protein and healthy fats.
The answer to both would be no. There are plenty of vegan “nice cream” recipes. This is a cottage cheese recipe and cannot be replaced in this particular recipe.
Here are some of my recent recipes. I hope you enjoy!
Lastly, if you do make this cottage cheese ice cream recipe (then first of all, thank you!!), be sure to rate this recipe and leave a comment and rating below! It would also mean the world to me if you tagged me on Instagram or TikTok so I can see your creations.
Viral Cottage Cheese Ice Cream (Peanut Butter Chocolate)
- 1 Food processor or blender
- 16 ounces Cottage cheese
- 5 Medjool dates pitted
- 4 teaspoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Natural creamy peanut butter
- Add the 16 ounces Cottage cheese, 5 Medjool dates, 4 teaspoon Unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract to a food processor or blender. Blend on high for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is free of clumps. Note: the dates may not break down completely: those bits are fine.16 ounces Cottage cheese, 5 Medjool dates, 4 teaspoon Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Transfer the mixture back to the cottage cheese container, or to another freezer-safe container. Add the 1 tablespoon Natural creamy peanut butter and swirl into the mixture with a spoon. We don’t want the peanut butter to dissolve completely into the ice cream. We want swirls of peanut butter.1 tablespoon Natural creamy peanut butter
- Freeze for 4-6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Oh. My. Gosh. This was divine!!!