While it’s raining and snowing outside this winter, all I want to do is cozy up at home with some yummy snacks. These hot cocoa marshmallow cookies are simply *chefs kiss* perfection for this time of year.
These cookies are gooey, chocolatey, and will make your home smell like heaven. These cookies are everything you would want in a hot cocoa marshmallow cookie: crispy edges, gooey centers, chocolatey, and filled with marshmallows!
If you love hot chocolate with marshmallows, you will love these cookies. Perfect for a night in on the couch or to share with friends. This recipe takes the coziest drink and turns it into the coziest dessert. Double the cozy! Because we can.
- Flour: the core of any cookie recipe, I use all-purpose.
- Cocoa powder: Use a good one. For this recipe, I used a dutch process cocoa powder. If you just have natural cocoa powder, you should be fine.
- Dry milk powder: this is the secret ingredient in the hot cocoa packets we drink! This recipe doesn’t use not using hot cocoa powder from the packets. Instead, we create that same flavor in our cookies through dry milk powder. I love adding milk powder to other cakes and cookies (like these Halloween candy cookies) so this is a wonderful ingredient to have in your pantry!
- Salt: my favorite ingredient in any dessert! Surprisingly, salt actually makes the dessert sweeter. I use kosher salt in this recipe.
- Butter: I use room temperature, unsalted butter in this recipe. You can absolutely substitute the butter for a neutral oil.
- Sugar: need I say more? Brown sugar makes a cookie soft and chewy, white granulated sugar gives a slightly crispy edge.
- Pure vanilla extract: some chocolate-centric recipes don’t add vanilla. I get it, we want the chocolate to shine. But for these cookies? It just adds that extra depth and we just love it.
- Egg: for health. JUST KIDDING, to bind it all together!
- Chocolate chips: Can you have a cookie without chocolate chips? TBD. While I usually love dark chocolate, we’re staying on theme with milk chocolate chips. Hot cocoa is meant to be milky after all. But if you only have dark, you’ll be fine!
How to make hot cocoa marshmallow cookies:
- Sift the dry ingredients all together in a bowl to get the clumps out and to ensure they all combine evenly. I find that any recipe using cocoa powder needs to be sifted.
- Mix the wet ingredients together. I use a stand mixer but you can use a handheld or whisk by hand.
- Add the dry ingredients, then the chocolate chips.
- Once all combined, form the cookies. Take about 2 tablespoons of dough and flatten it out in your palm. Add 5 mini marshmallows in the center, then wrap the dough around each cookie. I know it might seem like a lot of marshmallow, but I tested the recipe with fewer and 5 came out just magical.
- Place in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes, while the oven preheats.
- When ready to bake, place the cookies about 2 inches apart. Optional: add an extra marshmallow on top
- Bake for 8-10 minutes then cool and enjoy!
Why we love these hot cocoa marshmallow cookies:
- The same nostalgic flavor of hot cocoa, but in a cookie
- Melty marshmallows in the middle and toasty marshmallows on top
- Gooey and chocolatey
- Easy to make, with easy to find ingredients
- Absolutely delicious
Can I store these cookies?
- Pre-baking: You can store the dough in the refrigerator for 3 days, or the freezer for a month. Make sure either way, you make the cookies and stuff them with marshmallows before storing. That way you can just pop in the oven! They may need a minute or two longer than if they were just-prepared. The mini marshmallows will hold up in the freezer!
- Post-baking: Good luck having leftovers, but if you do….You can store these on these in a container on your counter for about three days. You might want to pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds to get that gooeyness back!
Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cookies
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter (one stick) room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour 100g
- ½ cup cocoa powder dutch process (50g)
- ⅓ cup dry milk powder 40g
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips or more if you’d like
- 1 cup mini marshmallows plus more for topping
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, dry milk powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Mix until combined, then set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugars together with a mixer or by hand, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add about half of the dry mixture and combine, then add the second half. I find that mixing them in batches makes it easier to stir. Then add the chocolate chips.
- To make the cookies, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and flatten them out in your palm into a mini pancake shape. Add 5 mini marshmallows to the middle, then wrap the dough around them to form a cookie. If a little bit of marshmallow is exposed, don’t worry.
- Chill the dough for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F
- Arrange the cookie dough on a pan about 2-3 inches apart. You can add an extra mini marshmallow or two to the top of each cookie to get toasted. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. When the cookies look slightly underbaked, they are ready. They will continue to cook slightly while resting on the pan.
- Allow to cool and serve!
One response to “Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cookies”
[…] Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cookies […]
Leave a Reply