Cookies for breakfast? Count me in! These vegan banana oatmeal cookies with tahini are the BEST way to start the day. They taste like banana bread but are much healthier, naturally vegan, and and only include ingredients you’d put in your oatmeal. And who doesn’t love the idea of cookies for breakfast!?
These vegan banana oatmeal cookies are naturally gluten-free, refined sugar-free, vegan, and packed with flavor. They honestly taste like banana bread – you’d never know they were so healthy!
These cookies can be stored at room temperature so you can have grab and go breakfast all week. They’re also perfect to pack for lunch as a healthy dessert, or to have right out of the oven after dinner. I call this type of recipe “accidentally vegan.” You will be making these vegan banana oatmeal cookies over and over and over again – I already do!
- brown banana: make sure the banana is spotty or browned
- tahini: sesame butter. I love the kind from Trader Joe’s or Soom Foods.
- pure vanilla extract
- pure maple syrup: make sure this is grade A maple syrup and all natural
- instant oats
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- chocolate chips: optional. I prefer bittersweet chocolate chips but you can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate
Why you’ll love these vegan banana oatmeal breakfast cookies:
- Cookies for breakfast
- One bowl recipe
- Can be made in under 20 minutes
- They taste like banana bread, but healthy
- Refined sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan, and made with just the good stuff
- Easy for meal prep to have these vegan banana oatmeal cookies for breakfast or snacks all week
- No fussy ingredients
- You can really taste the tahini, which goes SO well with dark chocolate
- Did I mention cookies for breakfast??
Tips, Tricks, and Substitutions
- Use a very spotted or brown banana. If the banana is mostly yellow, it wont be soft enough to mush and it wont be sweet enough either
- If you use a kitchen scale, you wont even need to use measuring cups for the tahini or oats. Less dishes, hooray!
- You can eyeball the vanilla extract, maple syrup, and the salt (if youre comfortable doing so!)
- You can use any nut or seed butter (creamy or chunky)in place of tahini for these vegan banana oatmeal cookies. Try to use all natural, so there isnt any added sugar. Remember to stir the tahini so that any oil that separated on top is combined back in.
- Feel free to omit the chocolate chips, or replace with nuts or dried fruit
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of chia seeds for some added fiber
- Sprinkle the cookies with flakey sea salt if youd like
If you make these healthy tahini banana breakfast cookies, be sure to give this recipe a rating and/or leave a comment! It means the world to hear from you. Also, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see what you’re making! I love to see your creations 🙂
Tahini Banana Breakfast Cookies
- 1 brown banana
- 3 tablespoon tahini 40g
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup instant oats 60g
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mash the banana in a bowl, then add the tahini, vanilla, and maple and combine. Add the oats, salt, and baking powder and mix until the batter looks like oatmeal. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the dough onto a sheet pan. You will have enough batter for five cookies that will all fit on a half sheet pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, then let cool for a few minutes. Enjoy!